Thursday, September 12, 2013

Ted Talk: Ken Robinson
I enjoyed Ken Robinsons Ted Talk on education very much. I was surprised to see that his topics of discussion match my essay ideas almost exactly. I am writing about the importance of focusing on students natural talents and subjects they are inclined to succeed at rather than the "linear" approach that schools take in "manufacturing" out the typically educated person that is not prepared for life upon graduation. I also mention how teachers play a major role in being flexible and creative in catering to the needs of the individual. I like Ken's reference of "fast food" and "industrialized" education systems that treat schools like an assembly line, sending every single person through the same routine expecting a successful out come. I agree strongly that everyone has that one (or many) thing(s) they are born to do, and these tendencies should not go overlooked at a young age in school just to satisfy the conformist's idea of what education should be. Stripping people of their passions to fill their head with trivial information just to pass a test is a disgrace to human society. As Ken mentions, those who do what they love for a living wouldn't even consider work "work", yet the vast majority conforms to the standards of what society tells you to be. This was a topic mentioned in "The Passion Project" as well. I agree with Ken completely that schools need a complete revolution and shift to an, as Ken mentions, "organic" mode of operation. Personally, I am completely relieved that schools offer degrees in music because I have no idea what I would be doing if that wasn't an option; And that is scary to think that a great number of people don't even have the chance to pursue the career of their dreams if it is not accepted by society. This is something that definitely needs to change for the betterment of the future generations to come. Schools need to have more flexibility and offer more variety in what is taught, and have the resources necessary to blossom individuals in the direction of their own temperament. Great video.

No comments:

Post a Comment